Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tem lá?

I. I answer questions daily that end with, "tem lá?"= do they have that there?
A. Examples:
i. Do they have lightening in your country?
ii. Do they have chicken in your country?
iii. They don't sell coconut water in the street "there"?
B. It's fascinating that the fact that most conversations include the world "lá" (there), means that there still exists a barrier
between me and them. They're from here, and I'm from "lá". Still.

II. Expressions are still my favorite hobby.
A. You've never heard that said from another mouth?= You've never heard that before?
B. We're going to now close with a golden key. = We're going to go out with a bang.
C. The sun shines for everyone.
D. When someone shows up when you're talking about them, you don't say "speak of the devil", you say, "you're not going to
die soon!" and then they say, "Amen".
E. Also, why do we have two long words for 'scholarship recipient' when in portuguese it's just 'bolista'?

III. English has invaded Portuguese more than Portuguese has invaded English
A. Brother (you can call a woman my brother, too) but it's spelled brôde
B. Most all technology: internet, laptop, pin drive (but you have to prounce it with a y at the end, like Mikey, Timmy,
internet-chy)
C. Iceberg (yup, it's iceberg-y)
D. Night (as in, "let's go out for night-chy"= let's go out tonight

IV. I must be in a more public culture. You check your facebook (or orkut, here) in a public lan house. You play video games in a public video game house, you pay your electricity bill at the grocery store, not online.

And I can't be in Cachoeira (my town) without visiting a cachoeira (waterfall)

1 comment: