Search This Blog

Friday, December 17, 2010



I was here to research, right? I haven't given much cyber space (rsrs) to explain what I researched in the "interior" of Bahia. I was a sort-of intern in 3 health posts called CAPS -Centers for Psico-Social Treatment". At these three posts I interviewed patients (called "users" to empower them to not feel "sick") and doctors, psychologists and other employees about the discrimination people suffering with depression face in their communities. I organized my findings into three categories: stereotypes that society in general holds, discrimination within the family, and discrimination within CAPS itself--among other users or employees. For example, when the group of users (some with more serious mental disabilities than others) walked together to their weekly dance class in the center of town, some of the other users would walk another way as to not be associated with the group. Some don't wear the shirts or sport the CAPS paraphernalia (shown above) and many keep to themselves the fact they are undergoing treatment for their depression.

It's now imperative that I show you what I ate last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment