Search This Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2010

1. I went to a work Christmas party with my friend's father on Friday (don't worry...it's the same thing here, the wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends don't really want to be there but they think they're pretending really well that they do) and for secret santa, one girl received various remedies for her "anxiety" (aka her co-workers think she's neurotic), including: chamomile (ok I'm with you), natural sleeping pills (still with you) and maracujá (passion fruit). Now, everyone just nodded, like "duh, passion fruit induces sleep. Yup. Yup." and although I knew this after 3 months in Bahia, I was just so distracted for the rest of the night thinking about the same situation in the US. I know there are people who know what plants to use for colds or natural remedies and the like but I'm fairly sure this kind of common knowledge differs here and there ("lá")

2. Another thing that is funny to imagine in reverse: I went to an 8th grade graduation, also on Friday and the slide show of pictures was set to Justin Beiber and David Guetta. On Saturday I went to a high school party and everyone stopped to sing together "I'm having the time of my life" and "Party in the USA". Maybe just in the circles I run in, we don't sing Brazilian pop music and think we're cool. I should be used to this by now, but the strength of American pop culture abroad is still so... striking (and sometimes disconcerting)

3. I'm going to miss prevalent out-door markets. Where am I going to buy my cheese? Farmer's market.....psssshhh....then I can't get my goyabada at the same time, nor my panetone. Que é isso??

4. At dinner tonight I actually followed the conversation close enough to be able to offer my own personal vomit story at the appropriate time. Nothing better than when your humor actually translates how you would like.

5. The squeaky wheel gets the oil= he who doesn't cry, doesn't breast feed (Quem não chora não mama)

6. Went to the zoo with 3 pretty Brazilians. The most striking animal was seen (the passive voice is annoying in Portuguese too) outside of the zoo. This capivara was seen on the banks of some lake I can't pronounce.



7. It's good...whatever the season or hemisphere or time, to lay in the grass (and then go buy caldo de cana....sugar cane juice)

1 comment:

  1. guh im obsessed with your blog.
    that animal is soo cute!! i want it!!!
    and american pop culture-world wide blows my mind everyday too, though i feel like i should be over it by now.

    ReplyDelete