Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things



1. Women are empowered in the Afro-Brazilian religion of Candomble. There have been more mae de santos (female caretakers of the terreiros, or shrines, for the Orixa dieties) than pae de santos (male caretaker/priests)in Bahia. The hierarchy also changes when people enter through the doors of the place of worship. We were told several times during our visit to a shrine that "it doesn´t matter if you´re a doctor (medico) or a lawyer (advogado) or a street vendor. When you enter the temple, you´re stripped of that outside identity." The new hierarchy, however, is very visible. For example, one lady sat on the floor for the entire service because she has yet to complete her obligation (kind of like a confirmation) of 6 years. When she completes this rite of passage, she earns the right to a chair. When we asked about this, the mae de santo responded fairly humorously and not really defensively, "In her own home, she can sit in as many chairs as she wants." Our academic director has also done some research on how people suffering from depression respond very well to being a part of a Candomble community because they are allowed to assume a new identity within the walls of the terreiro. They find self-respect and worth and are often able to transfer this gusto for life to their "outside" reality.

2. Candy is very easy to find on the street. However, it´s often more expensive than my lunch, so I´m cutting down a little on the sugar and raising my salt intake. (Why would I pay R$3.50 for a snickers when I could get a whole plate of enchiladas for the same price?)

3.Omulu, one of the Orixa dieties of Candomble, is always depicted with reeds covering his face. For some reason, it´s pleasing to my eye. Here he looks like a hairy hershey´s kiss.



4. I´m learning to like the rain. Today I found a book in the trash to use for an umbrella. Now, I think I´ll use it to make borders for my scrapbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment