Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Como chego a.....?




The program I'm studying with is so... so... thorough. They program coordinators have provided some really awesome opportunities for us. Last night, for example, we learned samba and Afro-Brazilian (Candomblé inspired) dances from a two-piece band (who let us play the drums afterward and barely laughed, which was kind) and a really lovely dance teacher. Tonight we went to the Balet Folklórico and I'm not sure that humans were on stage because the things they did were things I would expect of deities...which they were at times impersonating.

Today two friends and I went to O Mercado Modelo as part of an assignment to observe and interview Brazilians. I met a Rocky (pronounce: "Hocky"), Ari, and Diego (men), Tripa (dog) and somehow made myself understood with half a dozen other nameless-to-me vendors who I interviewed, bantered with or just tried expressions out on. It was a fairly perfect day and I would like to say, for the record, that Salvador has really clean busses, at least one female candidate for diputado federal and cool pay phones.

I'm sort of in disbelief about how good people have been to us here. It's supposed to be the happiest place in Brazil, so maybe that's part of the reason, eh?

1 comment: