Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ruminations, observations, policy recommendations and commentary on a curious lack of dysfunctional familial relations

I was once tired of people asking me how I could possibly study at Point Loma with that “magnificent view”. I must admit, I’m having a hard time here:



The workers at McDonalds try to correct my pronunciation of “McFlurry” and “Vanilla” when I order ice cream. Then, they slide across the counter an un-flurried McFlurry which I proceed to flurry myself.

Why is it that when you’re learning a new language, you pick up on more than when you speak it fluently? I’m already missing the first week when I picked up a lot more on tone and grammar nuances. Now, I’m distracted by the actual meaning of words.

A law should be passed to sell yogurt over a certain weight in bags rather than containers.

Americans should incorporate into our language expressions that simply make more sense. It’s the idea that sometimes other languages convey an idea better.
“Make a party”
“Make a test”
“Repeat a good experience”
“His beloved”(as opposed to “his girlfriend”)

Let’s also bring back “big words” that we have in English but use less frequently than their less poetic synonyms, even as the equivalent in Spanish or Portuguese (etc.) is used more normally.
Examples: The verb ‘to detest’, an inundation, fidelity, coquette, conjugal

Why doesn’t Portuguese have the present perfect tense? ☹

Children universally like to wave at planes.

I actually like chicken intestines (or, I seriously misunderstood the explanation of the curious plate in front of me)



I’m dying to vote in the upcoming election because they’re going to employ thumbprint recognition technology.

Bahians are really gracious about explaining customs and traditions to my group of Americanas (though, admittedly, it’s one of the most curious and respectful groups I’ve ever been a part of) but I still feel like my face says, “I’ve-lost-my-culture-can-I-borrow-yours?” a lot of the time.

And, on familial relations: At least in my family so far, there has been a suspicious lack of power plays and passive aggressive behavior. (Disclaimer: this is not to contrast my Brazilian family with my American one) Dirty laundry is sure to be aired during my over two-month stay here, but so far I’m impressed with the “say what you mean” rule and the intimate “I’m-going-to-stand-here-and-watch-you-make-beans-because-I-like-your-company” mentality. Also, I like that when the members of the family (widely defined, including girlfriends, boyfriends, cousins and aunts) have nothing to say to me, they sort of sing my name (pronounced Ha-ke-o) when they pass by, sometimes touching my shoulder, as if saying “not-sure-what-to-say-but-I-want-you-to-know-it’s-ok-you’re-in-my-house-and –I-even-sort-of-like-you”)

No comments:

Post a Comment