Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Eu Não Falo Português Muito Bem


I wanted to document my Portuguese improvement over the semester, so I'm starting off with this humbling photo: me with the 40 words I know off the top of my head. They include real impressive worlds like "a" and "mom" and "chicken". I've accumulated this meager vocabulary three ways.

1. Conversationexchange.com--- I recommend the site highly. You converse with people who speak the language you want to learn and who want to speak the languages you speak. I correspond with people in Mexico, Spain, Brazil and Colombia. It's fairly fantastic. I mostly ask questions about social norms and then we correct each other's grammar. My use of the online dictionary is still extreme.

2. My exchange sister from Minas Gerais, Brazil. She is solely responsible for my awareness of the words "menina" "obrigada" and "saudades". She also makes good farofa.

3. My online teachers: youtube, free podcasts, songs, newspapers... My favorite is a commercial for Huggies. Toddlers sing what translates as, "baby's butt wants to breathe." Can't get enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment